Saturday, September 18, 2010

learned something new today and my reconnaissance mission for tomorrow

i know this will be hard to believe but i finally learned to change a tire and fix a flat (front and back wheel) on my bike. see, i never had to do it myself because i always ride with my favorite bike mechanic who gladly does the dirty work for me. i must say that i'm kinda proud now that i can do it. i knew i could it was just a matter of finally just getting my hands all dirty and greasy...yuck! my instructor was pretty good but i also found this video from the bike barn in penticton very helpful and highly recommend it:

Bike Barn Penticton - Flat Tire Change from Chris Stenberg on Vimeo.

tomorrow is going to be another learning day as i take to the 112 mile bike course i will be racing on in just 33 days. come to find out, it is the exact 3 loop course as the race so this is going to be a perfect opportunity to practice my hydration and nutrition. i have my powerbars, powergels, nuun tabs, etc...all loaded up and ready to go. i'll be taking lots of mental notes along the way. can't wait! the last time i rode the course was 2 years ago and it was a one looper. apparently, the course changes from year to year. the first map posted is the first loop we do and that includes the BIG climb up sugarloaf mountain. the 2nd and 3rd loop are the same. each loop comes back to waterfront park where the ride starts from, so that is kind of nice in case i need to pick up anything from the car.





full report tomorrow on the course. hope everyone is having a great weekend! much love and peace out!

14 comments:

  1. It is finally dawning on me that you are doing a ironman! I bet you are more excited than when we were back in the day when we ran the parking garages in downtown Tampa training for our first marathons. I am so proud of you! You have so much strength and determination to go after what you want. I can't wait to see you accomplish your dream. I will be there with you on the start (mentally that is:)). One month to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. have fun and good luck at nailing the nutrition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year I rode long alone a lot in training for GFT since my hubby couldn't handle the heat for more than 50-60 miles. That was when I made sure I could fix my own flats if I had to (not fast but I could do it). Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loop courses are easier on a bike than on the run.
    I still can't change a tire. I know how to but, like you, I leave the dirty work to my mechanic. Hey, I have to wash the dishes; he can change my tires!
    have fun on your ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have fun on the bike ride! It should be great practice. Hopefully you don't need to put your new found knowledge to use though :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWESOME that you get to preview the IM course!! I remember you mentioned that before, but it just sunk in this pea brain. I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome that you'll get a chance to ride your IM bike course! Just think about how more mentally prepared you will be come race day! I hope you nail your nutrition! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You figure what are the odds of flatting during the IM. But it DOES and it SUCKS! Good to practice now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It so nice when you can train on the course you will be riding!! Good luck in nailing that nutrition!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are hilarious. Glad you can finally "do the deed" haha.

    Good luck on the course! Is your "coach" going along with you? You aren't riding it alone are ya?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Changing a tire is not a fun thing. I learned a while ago but have never done it on course. I know a couple other triathletes would have 'tire changing Tuesday' just to practice and learn how to do it slightly faster.

    Hope you had fun on the course...man you are so going to kick ass next month!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ride went very well. Will update my blog later today with all the fun details. Lots of good stuff to blog about too.

    Didn't have to change any flat tires. I do need to practice taking off the back wheel. It is a mutha to get off but even worse to get back on. The drop outs are not like a roadbike at all. Even my pro mechanic, J-man, has trouble with it. I will master it before the big day though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a strong believer in riding the course before a race, you not only mentally know what to expect but also you have some muscle memory to work with during the race.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm excited for you...it's coming so soon now. I can't yet change a tire. I know HOW to, but I was an utter failure when I changed my son's flat tire...obviously some bad execution! One of my goals in the next year is to take at least a women's bike maintenance course...then I can be that girl who let's my buddy change my tire by choice rather than necessity!

    ReplyDelete