Friday, December 30, 2011
Thanks to everyone who entered. I'm sure there will be more giveaways to come in 2012.
Much love and peace out!
Friday, December 23, 2011
Tuesday, December 20, 2011
|i crack up every time i look at this picture|
did you get all that? no? basically, what it means is, this stuff could possibly be a serious dose of kick ass that easily mixes in water.
the beautiful thing about GU products is that IT IS tested by super humans, like you, the beautiful people who read my blog (not tested on animals, not even on guinea pigs) and that is why they came to me, to seek out the perfect candidate.
the lucky winner will also receive this:
|a GU sample pack full of goodies|
a few favors to ask of those who'd like to participate:
1- Follow my blog and let me know that you do. If you are a new follower (as in, you just started following for this giveaway then you get 1 entry). If you have already been following my blog, and I do know who you peeps are, then you automatically get 2 entrie's.
2 - Tweet about this giveaway for another entry.
3 - Post the giveaway on your Facebook page for an additional entry.
4 - Post the giveaway on your blog if you have one, for 1 more entry.
5 - Promise me that if you win, and once you've had a chance to test out the drink mix, that you'll write an honest review of it on your blog and if you don't have a blog, then you can be a guest writer on mine. Easy, right? Pinky promise me this and you get one more entry.
Let me know each one that you do so that i can easily tally up your entries, got it?
the fine print:
~giveaway is only for residents of the US and Canada
~i'm not getting paid to do this
~contest ends at 12:00am EST on Wednesday, December 28th, 2011.
~i will put all the entries into a hat or box and have someone other than myself, pick the name out.
~check back on Thursday, December 29th, 2011 to see if you won.
~the winner has 48 hours to contact me via email with their contact info, otherwise a new winner will be chosen.
big thanks to GU via Outside|PR for hooking me up with their awesome products for this giveaway! good luck my friends!
much love and peace out!
Sunday, December 18, 2011
|thanks J-man for telling me the bag was upside down! |
fellow blogger, Jill at Run with Jill hosted her 2nd annual holiday blogger gift exchange. she matched up other bloggers and viola, a really fun secret santa-ish event. thanks Jill for putting all of this together; it was so much FUN!
so you wanna see the cool stuff i got from my secret santa Christie?
~gu chomps which i LOVE. any flavor.
~a red lycra swimcap. perfect color for the season. i can't remember if i said anything on my blog about preferring lycra over latex caps but i absolutely love lycra caps. the latex one's give me such a headache. i only wear them at races because you have to, otherwise, lycra swimcaps rule for me.
i LOVE all of these cool gifts and thank you so much Christie for taking the time to delve into my blog! much appreciated!
much love and peace out!
Friday, December 16, 2011
|Viva Las Vegas baby!|
|My Project 1 Trek Dream Ride - only $13,000|
|Team Concepcion kickin' it!|
much love and peace out!
Thursday, December 15, 2011
2/12/12 - St. Pete RnR half marathon
3/4/12 - Gasparilla half marathon
3/25/12 - Ocala HITS half iron
5/20/12 - Florida 70.3
11/3/12 - Ironman Florida
i would like to maybe find something between Florida 70.3 and IMFL but so far, i haven't seen anything that grabs me. there are several centuries that i do annually in between that time frame so really, there isn't a huge gap of nothingness between May and November. more than likely, i will do the 6 Gap ride again (that tough as nails 104 mile ride with 11,000+ feet of climbing) in Georgia at the end of September. so who else is doing one or more of the same races i'm doing? i hope to meet many more new faces at the races (i rhymed, heh!) this year.
Friday, December 9, 2011
- I'm finally getting around to doing the DWYLLC (do what you least like challenge) that i cleverly dreamt up back in September. if you forgot about it, go HERE to refresh your memory. since i least like swimming, i have to swim 5 days out of 7 within the same week and no less than 1 mile. so far i have 2 days in a row of 3000 meters each. the deadline to complete this personal challenge is midnight, DEC 31st. some of my over-achieving friends have already completed their challenge ...Jenn at Junk Miles and Beth at Discombobulated Running you rock! Jenn ran 5 out of the 7 days and nothing less than a 5k distance and Beth biked no less than 12 miles for 5 out of the 7 days.
- remember the deal of the century i posted about back in march? no? i posted about the "tent" sale that Shop Ironman.com was putting on and that i made out like a bandit. you can see all the stuff i got in March, by going HERE. anyway, they were back again last weekend for another tent sale, but this time, thanks to people like me who blogged about it (or should it be blabbed about it), everyone and their mother knew how awesome the deals were going to be, so this time it was a zoo. i stood in a line to pay for 3 hours! why? because there were people with boxes and boxes of merchandise they were purchasing ...maybe to sell on Ebay later? Smarties! i didn't think the selection was as good as last time and they jacked up the prices. by jacked up i mean what i payed $5.00 for last time, was now $10.00. i know that $10 for an $82 pair of tri shorts is still a bargain, so i'll stop my whining now. here is what i got this time around (don't hate, LOL):
|matching jersey and arm warmers at $10/each|
|IM jogbra $10|
|matching IM shorts that go with the jogbra above for $10|
|70.3 Florida visor $5|
|(front view) IM St. George Utah K-Swiss tri top $10|
|(back view) IM St. George Utah tri top ...i love the Kokopelli man!|
- i am way behind on movies but i just saw the hangover and i laughed my butt off. now i need to get my hands on the hangover 2 dvd. that's a hint by the way since Christmas is right around the corner.
- Jill at Run with Jill is doing her 2nd annual blogger gift exchange again this year. i missed it last year cuz i was under that ugly, dark post IM black cloud but not this year, no sir, so i was all about getting in on the action this time. can i tell you how freakin' excited i was when she sent me who my exchangee is? oh yeah, this is gonna be good! secret Santa message to my exchangee ...i think you rock! can't wait to send you your gift from Santa!
- i signed up for 70.3 Florida! it isn't at Disney anymore thank the stars above! after so many years of running the marathon there and having to wake up at 2:30am to catch a bus by 3:30 to then sit in the Epcot parking lot until 5:30 ...nah! i don't think so. after 2004, i vowed to never go back again and still have no intentions of ever participating in anything Disney related. too high maintenance for this girl. i prefer a grass roots race, especially when it comes to a marathon. preferably with about 1000 runners at the most, very little fan fare, like the Jacksonville Marathon. that is one of my favorites by far.
- ok, speaking of signing up for IM's. what is the deal with all the stupid questions you HAVE to answer in order to register? and they have a little red asterisk to let you know that you HAVE to answer it. if you hit submit but didn't answer all of the mandatory questions, it will take you back to the registration page and let you know it is not complete. why does WTC need to know my local newspaper and news channel? i assure you, i have no tear jerker, pull at your heart string stories to offer them. here are a few other stupid questions that are mandatory:
- but wait, there's more! then there is another section of "non-mandatory" questions such as household income, do you expect to hire a coach, how many bikes do you own, are you planning on purchasing a bike or some race wheels in the next 12 months, how many pairs of running shoes are you planning to buy this year, what about a new helmet?
- i did a trail run this morning. not that this is huge news but usually when i run it's dark so i don't dare enter the dark trails with all the spooky animals but this morning, since i was off work, i swam first, then went out to run once the sun came up. i saw 3 deer and group of about 10 turkeys. the turkeys were busy eating and just for fun, i whistled at them and they all stopped and looked at me. it was kinda funny.
- do you all have nick names for people at the gym? i do! lots of them. makes me wonder if they have nick names for me. anyway, lately i have had this guy swimming in the lane next to me that i have named, Hop-Along-Cassidy because he hops on one foot back and forth a few laps, then he does what i call the seahorse swim. he swims upright for a few laps, then swims the rest of the time with a pull buoy. i get the pool buoy swimming but what's the deal with the hopping and seahorsing?
Friday, December 2, 2011
Big shout out to all who are racing this weekend, especialmente Señor Bahamundi at Cook|Train|Eat|Race who is running the Las Vegas Marathon this Sunday. Looks like the winds have calmed down and the weather is going to be great for a 26.2 mile run.
Friday, November 18, 2011
well, i said i was going to do this 100 random things about me dealio awhile back but never got past 25 but today is a new day and i found my blogging mojo. enjoy!
1. After almost 40 marathons, I’ve never lost a toenail.
2. The smell of pancakes and syrup makes me sick.
3. I used to work at village inn as a hostess when I was in high school (see #2)
4. I used to cry if my Mom made me wear a dress to church.
5. I really despise sneaky wheel sucking cyclists. I may or may not try to pick a fight.
6. I should have weighed 300 pounds as a teenager with the eating habits I had.
7. I used to eat an entire strawberry cheesecake from village inn for breakfast, lunch, and dinner in one day (see #3 & 6).
8. I got serious about my health and fitness at the age of 19 and have never looked back.
9. I was a vegetarian for about 3 years in the early 1990’s.
10. I have never been to Steak-n-Shake, Checkers, Olive Garden or Sonic.
11. I used to think marathons were fun, now I find them boring.
12. Eating out is a waste of money and time in my opinion.
13. I miss my parent’s every single day and don’t think I will ever meet 2 people more special than they were.
14. I’ve never met my biological parent’s.
15. One day, I hope to meet my biological parent’s.
16. Short hair rules and I will never grow mine out again.
17. I’m scared to see what my hair color would be if I didn’t color it.
18. I eat way too much cheese. I may need an intervention.
19. Learning to swim was a very humbling experience.
20. If I could safely ride my bike to and from work (50 mile round trip), I would.
21. I could live without a TV in the house.
22. I cannot live without the internet.
23. I don’t have any pets.
24. I am deathly afraid of lightning.
25. I prefer running alone in the dark.
26. I have to agree that working out is cheaper, better for you and more fun than therapy.
27. I could eat sashimi everyday but can't remember the last time i had any.
28. I hate that my body doesn't like to build bigger muscle. And Lord knows i try.
29. Peas and Lima beans gross me out.
30. I have no room in my life for gossipy, stir the shit up kind of people.
31. I wish I lived closer to the ocean so I could do more open water swims.
32. I am more scared of crashing on my bike because of an animal than being hit by a car.
33. I have way too many running shoes.
34. I went thru 5 swim suits this year alone. They sure don't last long.
35. I didn't pay more than $12 for each swim suit (see #34).
36. I still don't "get" Twitter.
37. I really don't "get" Google+.
38. Slowtwitch forums are full of haters.
39. Beginner Triathlete forum is so much classier. Especially the IM Florida peeps.
40. I have never followed a schedule for my ironman training.
41. I have never followed a schedule for all of the marathons I've done either.
42. I hate schedules. It takes all the fun out of training for me.
43. If I weren't so into triathlons, I would probably be a bodybuilder.
44. I'm addicted to my smart phone, so says the J-man.
45. I don't stop to smell the roses as often as I should.
46. I have been eating Flintstones vitamins with iron for about 10 years.
47. I have a hyperthyroid but haven't taken my medication in over a year.
48. I really don't think I have a hyperthyroid.
49. I hate my doctor's office and think they aren't very in tune with me (see #47 & 48).
50. As a teenager, I ate almost all of my meals from fast food joints, McD's mostly.
51. I broke into a vacant house on my street when I was in high school. Just cuz.
52. I worked out with Andrew Dice Clay one late Friday night at Bally's.
53. I am absolutely against listening to music with earphones on when biking outside.
54. I can cook, I just chose not to.
55. Thank God for microwaves.
56. I'm pretty cranky when I don't get to workout in the morning before work.
57. I really do think the honey badger is the baddest ass animal out there.
58. I loved Christmas growing up but not so much anymore. Just another day.
59. I thoroughly clean my bikes after every ride.
60. I will never eat popcorn. Farmers feed their cows and pigs corn to fatten them up.
61. The first thing I want to do after an Ironman race is brush my teeth.
62. I refuse to pay someone to wash and detail my car.
63. I can detail a car like no one else (see #62).
64. The J-man is my bike mechanic and he is the bomb.
65. I have no interest in learning how to do mechanical stuff to my bike.
66. Since Ironman Florida, I have had about 50 people add me to their google+ circle.
67. I don't know any of these people (see #66).
68. Meeting bloggers in real life is pretty darn cool.
69. Mellow Mushroom pizza has to be about the best pizza that I've ever had.
70. Thank God Mellow Mushroom is about 30 miles away or I'd be racing as an Athena.
71. Coffee is in fact the nectar of the Gods.
72. I used to hate Starbucks coffee. Now I can't live without it.
73. My first hamster's name was Timothy. He froze to death.
74. I think Vanilla really is the finest of the flavors.
75. I drink Slimfast shakes but not for weight loss. I just love them. Vanilla of course.
76. Tapering for a race isn't as bad I like to make it out to be.
77. I wish my body didn't rebel so damn much when I try to run over 45 miles/week.
78. Men with overly hairy bodies should not be allowed to swim in the pool.
79. I never knew snorkels were allowed in triathlons until last year.
80. All of my "vacations" in the last 15 years, have involved some kind of race event.
81. I am not a procrastinator even though I've been putting this list off for months, lol.
82. I prefer running alone with music blaring.
83. I graze all day long.
84. I don't participate in food days at work. I have watched too many Hoarder episodes.
85. I refuse to shop at Walmart during normal hours. 5-6am is usually best and safest.
86. I vowed to never buy an American car. I think I may have to go back on my vow.
87. I love the new Ford Focus SEL Titanium 5 door, fully loaded in red. I'm getting one!
88. J-man doesn't like that I want to put more race stickers on my SUV back window.
89. I still haven't gotten that 140.6 tattoo I was thinking about last year.
90. I really like the M dot tats but not on me.
91. I'm still devastated that I can no longer eat peanut butter b/c of allergies. I miss it.
92. I hate excuses. They are just reasons to fail.
93. If I could, I'd wear a running cap to work everyday.
94. I don't get along real well with people who tend to always be running late.
95. I still haven't visited my parent's grave since the funerals, almost 5 years ago.
96. I think funerals are a big waste of money. What a ridiculous ceremony.
97. I want to be
burned at the stake cremated.
98. P90X rocks. If you don't already have it, go buy it and DO IT!
99. Don't be fooled by my quietness.
100. I got married in Vegas almost 15 years ago. I'd do it all over again too! With J-man of course.
Much love and peace out!
Saturday, November 12, 2011
yay! windy 112 miles done and i quickly hand my bike off to a volunteer and start running to the T2 bag area, which was very close this time compared to where the first transition was, and i hauled butt to the same changing area as before. plenty of space, even more than before and i quickly removed my bike shoes, the volunteer dumped my bag out and handed me my running shoes, and the other volunteer (yep, I had 2 helping me) sprayed sunscreen on me and i was out the door running. time in T2: 4:49.
|i would have killed for a vanilla frosty from Wendy's across the street right about now|
Friday, November 11, 2011
fast forward to saturday, swim done, run on the cheese grater asphalt, grab my T1 bag, and into the ladies changing area. best part about ironman triathlons? lots more men than women do them so much more space for us ladies to change without someone's butt in our face. there were chairs but i didn't even sit down. the volunteer (God bless all of them) dumped my bag out on the floor and handed me my helmet, then sunglasses, socks, and then as i put my shoes on, she sprayed me down with my personal spray-on sunscreen. i wasn't about to get slathered with that generic crap they have set up with latex gloved volunteers ready to slap it on you, as you are running out the door to grab your bike.
it sure didn't feel like 8 and a half minutes, maybe more like 5 but it was quite a haul from the swim to T1. next year i'll shoot for at least 2 minutes less.
just like clockwork, my bike was awaiting me as i ran out. unfortunately, there were so many others exiting at the same time, we had to keep running with our bikes way past the actual mount line. it was crazy! sherpa Angie yelled at me to "be careful!" somehow, i knew what she meant and she explained later that people were all over the place and almost crashing into each other. thankfully, i was able to get clear enough to get on my bike, clip in and GO!
|too many people at the same time trying to get the hell out of dodge|
forgive me for not going into the finer details here but i don't remember all that much about the 112 miles other than it was freaking WINDY as all hell! i have never, ever ridden in such horribly windy conditions. NEVER, EVER! there were times i almost lost control of the bike while i was in an aero position, which was about 95% of the time. i would have to say that i fought the wind for 75% of the miles and maybe had a little help from the wind at my back for about 25% of the time. i was not happy. in fact, i pretty much had convinced myself by mile 50 that i would never sign up for ironman florida again. from the minute we rolled into PCB, nothing but crazy ass wind whipping up. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
i'm sorry if this post seems negative but there wasn't much good going on out there. one of the main things i noticed, that i had heard about from previous years, was that the drafting is off the chain. now, i know some people are going to cheat but for the most part, everyone "gets" the rules and tries to maintain proper spacing, passing, etc... unfortunately, this is nearly impossible to do with the volume of people racing at this venue. my legs were about to blow up before i even got to mile 40 because i kept getting caught up in groups of riders and i'll be damned if i was getting a red card from Heidi or Chloe, so i kept surging ahead, keeping with the "pass within 20 second" rule. let me tell you, it is IMPOSSIBLE not to draft at this race, period! if anyone tells you otherwise, they are full of crap. can you imagine trying to keep surging past these clumps of riders, over and over? by the time you hit the half-way mark, your legs are toast.
then at mile 43, some guy caused a horrible crash. he should be very ashamed of himself for riding like an aggressive asshole and for not even turning around or acknowledging the crash he caused that made 2 people hit the pavement hard. he just kept on pedaling like he stole something.
i stopped twice briefly to fill my aero-bottle. the volunteers handed off the water with the caps still tight and i couldn't open it and dump it in without feeling like i was going to lose control of the bike. so quick stop, dump water in, get going.
|here she comes!|
|and there she goes ...|
so, in summary, the bike portion, usually my favorite part, royally sucked in my opinion.
to be continued tomorrow - part III - the run
much love and peace out!
|honey badger don't care. it don't give a sh*t. it takes what it wants!|
the very talented artist of this sign (Laura Lucus, aka: LuLu), wrote a nice note that read:
"KC don't care, she'll run all day long!"
Thursday, November 10, 2011
i have gone back and forth with how to structure this RR and i think by splitting it up into swim/bike/run, it will be easier to blog about from a time management standpoint (both my thumbs pointing back at me) and also just based on my own experience when reading race reports, i actually prefer shorter pieces due to my poor attention span. the coolest part of all is, tomorrow will be the bike portion and then on Saturday, i will post the run portion of the race. that means, i will have blogged 5 days in a row! i don't think that has EVER happened.
i will be honest, i lost a little sleep thinking about this swim. not about my abilities to do it, but what it was going to be like to (a) swimming with almost 3000 other crazy
prior to the start of the swim that morning, i got some sage advise from Chloe and Heidi about how and where i should position myself. they said exactly what i didn't want to hear ...get up in the front, just go and let the crowd pull you. i said to myself, "self, those chics killed the swim last year, they must know what they speak of so you should listen to them and just do it." as i did my death march towards the shore with the J-man and Sherpa Angie next to me, i felt all the nerves just go away. i told myself as i always do before any open water swim, to swim as if i were in the pool. nice and calm, relaxed, not panicky, breathing smooth, and kicking easy. before i knew it the pro's went off and then 10 minutes later, the cannon went off for us and just like that, i was in the water in no time and swimming as if it were a day at the pool. i didn't even pay attention much to the amount of people around me, i just tried to stay within myself, holding my pace and just working thru/around the slower swimmers whenever that happened. i think that i imagined the swim to be something far crazier and chaotic, and from shore, it probably looks like chaos but it really isn't as bad as it looks. the current was pushing us to the inside of the buoys as we headed out and then to the outside as we headed back to shore. my sighting was spot on, no issues there and i felt like for the most part, i was holding a pretty good line, not all zig zag. even though i have less than 2 years of swimming under my belt, i can hold a straight line in an OWS.
round one of the swim was pretty uneventful. i exited the water at 37 minutes, grabbed some water, because my mouth was tasting soooo salty and dry, and then ran back for round 2 of the swim. this time, not as many people to pull me along as the first time, which was not a bad thing as i found myself with a little more personal space to swim in. i forgot to mention how absolutely beautiful and crystal clear the water was. so much so, that on the 2nd loop, i started to see things, really funky pink, glow in the dark things under me and then i remembered the race director mentioning, at the athletes dinner on Thursday, something about a new species of jellyfish. oh yeah, and they said, if you get stung by one of these 50 pound beasts with 70 foot tentacles (not testicles, ok?), don't panic, just relax, keep swimming and when you are done, see a medic. great! just what i needed to hear.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011
|WOW! That's A LOT of bikes. I'm plotting out a fast escape.|
|Another view of all the bikes stuffed into every available nook and cranny.|
|T2 - Bike to Run bags ...looks crazy but it's very organized.|
|Another view of T2|
|My bff and bestest race sherpa hanging on the beach! THANK YOU Bella for cheering your ass off! Poor girl even got a blister from ringing the cowbell so much, LOL!|
I even met some fellow dailymilers. This is me and Beto from Miami. He is now an IRONMAN!!
|Blogger meet-up! Can you say AWESOME? These people exude awesomeness in every way. Love you guys!!|
Yep, that's the Queen of Caratunk, Maine right there with me! Rumor has it that we were separated at birth. And, I hear she can cook up a mean batch of rice crispy treats with her eyes closed. (THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!)
Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Wednesday, November 2, 2011
i'm ready to have myself some fun! you think doing an ironman race is exhausting? i think getting all the gear ready and organizing all the stuff needed is more exhausting! it's such a mind drain but thankfully i had the entire day to get this done.
|cell phone pic is sorta crappy but you get the idea - all the bags and box|
|J-man - an awesome race sherpa|
|Bella - my other favorite race sherpa|
|Mandy - my tri bike chomping at the bit!|