Saturday, November 20, 2010

black cloud be gone

i feel the need.... the need for speed to blog! what an interesting 3-4 weeks since the 140.6 race. i can honestly say that the ironman blues really exist and it sucks. i admit that i can be moody but these past few weeks have been downright depressing. i don't remember feeling like this after a marathon except for maybe very early on after my first and second one but it was short lived. how do you top an ironman or iron distance race? seriously? i did a little research on the subject and found this great article: post ironman blues. i think it pretty much sums up how i've been feeling. i do feel like i finally turned a corner this week though and things are feeling a little more back to normal.

i didn't think it would take me this long to recover physically. in fact, after the soreness wore off about 2 days after the race, i was back out on the bike. it took me about 4 days to finally be able to run comfortably. however, week 2 and 3 were not so nice. i started feeling my left hip hurting, my shins were killing me, i was having to stop 2 and 3 times within the first mile of my run to stretch out because of the burning shins and tight hip. thankfully, based on past history (usually after running a marathon around this same time each year), i remembered these aches and pains i was experiencing were "pre" injury signs, so i knew i had to back off a bit and that's exactly what i did. this week, i was finally able to run without having to stop and work out the kinks. i had planned on doing the palm beaches marathon on december 5th but decided that this just isn't a smart idea. even though i know i can do it and could probably very easily throw down a boston qualifying time, i don't think that i would come out of it without some consequence (ie. stress fractured hip and/or shins). at this point in time, i'm not willing to sacrifice not being able to run for 2 months just to run a marathon that wasn't even on my list of to do races. i would just be doing it for the hell of it and that's not a good enough reason right now.

during my little down time recently, i've been thinking about my goals for next year. i made a list of races i'd like to do and specific (and realistic) goals for each one and will share those on a later post. i signed up for IMFL too! i'm very excited about that, yet it seems a million years away...349 days away to be exact (i may have to do the daily blog countdown like Caratunk Girl).

i finally got the official race pictures this week from the great floridian 140.6. i posted them on facebook so some of you may have seen them already but i'll post some here for those who haven't seen them. click on the pictures to make them bigger. i did have them set at a larger size but when i originally posted this blog post, the pics were enormous and completely off the page so i had to decrease the size so they would fit.








done!
  much love and peace out!

27 comments:

  1. Hi KC!

    Hang in there and take it easy! I have been doing very little since my race and my body is feeling really good. IMTX training begins on Dec 6th!

    That pic on your header is wonderful. The background is just perfect - you need to get that one framed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your feeling the post race blues. But, if it's any help, it is really really common! Hang in there and things will get better. One thing that helped me last year was to set a new goal for the winter. It helped me get back to working out and finding the motivation.
    Also, I LOVE your new blogger header picture! That is an amazing picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep,
    Not unusual. That's the trouble when you view the race as the culmination of the year of training. Not hard to do... DUHHHHH... but if you are able to put the race and the training in two separate "boxes" and each is of equal importance, it is easier.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of the pictures!
    Have you considered switching the full marathon to the half? It would be easier on your body and fill that void. You sound like you know your capabilities, and that is key to staying healthy.
    Stay strong, keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went through the post race blues after my marathon. I feel for you. It is great news that you are feeling so good after your race:) Those pictures are awesome....you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep - I had the post IM blues also. Give yourself some time mentally and physically and then pick your next goal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos, especially the one you chose for your banner! I'm glad you are getting past those IM Blues and looking ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The race photos of you on the bike are GREAT!!!

    Congrats on going for IMFL. Come join us @ 201Ironman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. super cool pic on the header with that fence background!

    thought of you this week I printed the 4Keys to IM page and have it in my little training cave area -huge for me thanks

    D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should submit your photos to triathlete magazine! Your photos are absolutely amazing and you could definitely be one of their cover models!

    I understand the post race blues. I had it after my 1/2 IM and it is very real. I know you will come out this and do more great things!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry about the Ironman Blues!! Gld you are staring to feel better! Those are some awesome pics!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like everybody else has said the pics are AWESOME!!!! The header is great and the finish line is t-riffic.

    Stay strong and keep smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i think i'm suffering from the same thing. i don't know what do with with my life. i'm so bored and my hubby is annoyed with my sour attitude. it seems like you still have been doing a lot of training girl. be careful! i'm experiencing some weird aches and pains myself. it's like your body has said enough is a enough. let me know if you figured this thing out. i need a new hobby or something.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got some really great race pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome pics KC! Especially the bike shots, well shot and good exposures. I'm hoping to have some ole' IM blues come next Sept...:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yep, sadly, the post-IM-blues do exist :( Being ~3 months out from my IM, I can't say that they completely go away... for me, it sort of changed from the blues to a wistful nostalgia. Hang in there and focus on your goals for next season!

    Awesome races pics too - esp. the one at the top of your blog. Looks like it could be a magazine cover!

    ReplyDelete
  17. enjoyed the race pics...you've certainly earned the right to take a break..and even b moody..lol. Enjoy what little down time U have left..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey you! That new header picture is awesome. WOW.

    Good luck with the blues. I am sure it is hard going from tons of volume and a huge goal to not so much volume and a far off goal.

    Love the countdown - it helps with the blues, honest!! Thanks for the mention :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very smart to take a break. Keep it smart.

    Love the new pic in the header. They did a great job taking that pic at the Floridian.

    Wonder if I have a Tri or an Ironman in me. I may look at it after I finish my 100 mile ultra in February. 2011 would be a good year to prepare. (You inspire me.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it takes about a month to fully recover from your first ironman. I've done 3 IMs and it still takes a couple of weeks before I feel like I'm fully recovered and ready to train hard again.

    The IMFL bike course should feel easy after the Great Floridian.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is one thing I am not looking forward too, the post race blues, post season blues is tough enough

    Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you're feeling better, mentally and physically. I can only imagine Ironman blues! You're right...how do you top that? But you've got the right idea, which is what I've been doing, always having the next goal in sight! You're such a champion and I look forward to seeing your list of races and perhaps doing one with you in 2011! Johnny and I are already planning our trip to Panama City for IMFL next November to cheer you on! Groupies in full effect! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hang in there homeslice! I am a little further out than you and I can honestly say that your body and mind knows when to bounce back. I'm there! I am ready start training again. One of these days I am sure we will meet up at one of these crazy events. Post Ironman What Do I Do Now Syndrome? is REAL.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know I've been in the place you are a time or ten after some tough marathons...but I never did an IM and I'm not sure you CAN top that. But you just heal and get back out there and do another :). I really love the new header picture - wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW!!! I am amazed! The pictures look fantastic too :)

    ReplyDelete