- i used to blame the IM training for my lack of
blah-gingblogging but now i am starting to see that the training is only part of the reason. throw sitting at a computer for 8 hours a day into the mix and the last thing i want to do when i get home is sit at the computer. plus, i find writing about my training, other than my daily training entries on dailymile, to be boring.
- as for the boring IM training, it’s on track! i’m in the thick of it right now and as timing would have it, most of my long runs and rides have been done and will be done in upper 90 – 100 degree weather. since I have no other choice, i don’t fret about it. thankfully, I have trained for many fall marathons where most of my long runs were done in the summer months. first words out of my mouth at 4am are, “suck it up buttercup!”
- it saddens me to see people eat themselves to death. see, i told you this was going to get random. as i was running this morning, my thoughts somehow settled on some wonderful people, who i dearly love that have allowed food to rule their lives. food …an inanimate object or substance that has more power over them than they have over themselves. how or why this popped into my mind at 5 in the morning, i have no clue. i pray they see the light before it’s too late.
- speaking of marathon training earlier, raise your hand if you have ever heard of the religious sect named Sri Chinmoy? i read about them a million years ago in an article in runners world magazine. it’s this cult that runs 20-50 miles per day and here is the kicker, they run these long runs around 1 city block, over and over and over again. anyway, i have yet to tell anyone (except for 2 people) my little secret …the one about doing my long runs around a 0.47 mile block (actually it’s a loop)… so the last long run was 16 miles. what’s great about it is that i have an aid station at my mailbox whenever i need it! i wonder if my neighbors think i’m crazy?
- i love my ISM saddle. when i first got it, i wasn’t sure. i left it on for 5 weeks, then decided to put the other seat back on to compare. the ISM saddle wins! it took a little longer to “break in” than i thought it would though.
- i have a whole new respect for open water swimming. did you read about Diana Nyad, the women who was attempting to swim 103 miles (from Cuba to Florida) without a shark cage protecting her? well, she didn’t make it BUT, i think she is an incredible athlete and she is 61 years young! there are just too many variables out of anyone’s control when it comes to open water swims, especially in the ocean. unfortunately, she was blown way off course and the conditions were just not on her side. i bet she could swim 103 miles in a pool though!
- while we are on the OWS subject, i had the pleasure of hanging out with my buddy Beth (aka: discombobulated running chic) at the beach a few fridays ago. our plan was to get to the beach around 10, walk down a mile, swim back and then chill out on the beach and work on our white
belliessix pack abs. we had a good swim, although we felt like we were swimming on a treadmill. i thought for sure i was at the halfway mark and we both looked up around the same time and said, “dang, that’s all we swam?” not very encouraging. i had a great swim and felt like a natural out there. i’ve come a long way in 18 months and it feels good to not be a nervous ninny in the water anymore.
who has the whitest feet of all time? that would be me!
- after out OWS, we had the best lunch ever. there is this awesome, awesome, awesome italian market in st. pete that is a must visit if you are ever nearby. it is called Mazzaros and it is to freakin’ die for. i swear. thank you Beth for taking me there. i did notice we were the youngest peeps in there. we sat out on the patio and ate lunch and chatted out heads off. here are some fun photos we took at the market:can’t go to Mazzaro’s and not pose on the vespa …someone had to be the guy!
well, it’s time to wrap this party up and say peace out and much love! have a happy and safe weekend out there!
- football is back!! whose excited? GO BUCS! nuf said!