Wednesday, April 27, 2011

pain in the butt, silly triathlon dreams & eggs

ok, ok!!  i know from my last post you are just dying to know why i eat 12 eggs a day, right? it’s because i have a disease called BIGOREXIA. just kidding…but you really should click on it to see what it is. actually, the reason is simple but a two parter. first, eggs are just really easy to handle, readily available and easy to cook (i make mine into omelets and only use one egg yolk). secondly, i believe in preserving all the muscle i can. i worked hard for it and with so many hours spent on endurance training, the body will  try to use lean muscle mass as a fuel. my goal is to head this off by consuming a high amount of lean protein.  i prefer a more muscular look than a “skinny” looking body. so there you go.
biceps
on to silly dreams. the other night i had a dream that i was doing a sprint triathlon and had to pee really bad before the start. i went looking for a port-a-potty and then i couldn’t pee. i kept trying and trying, even though my bladder felt like it was going to explode. i then realized that my swim wave was about to take off and i knew i’d be uncomfortable if i didn’t just hurry up and go already. long story short, i missed my swim wave so they made me wait and start with the last swim wave, which was for little kids. i was so mad, that i slammed my goggles up against a wall and they broke. i decided at that point to just call it a day, so i went to retrieve my bike and the seat fell off of it. i was having a really bad day …glad it was only a dream.
i have a pain in my left glute that is really making me super cranky. actually, i have had chronic piriformis syndrome in my left glute for about 10 years and over that time, it has flared up about 3-4 times, this time being one of them. i cannot run and it hurts mostly when i’m sitting which is all day at work and at least an hour to an hour and a half in the car commuting to and from work. it pretty much feels like someone is stabbing me constantly. so since last friday, i have been icing like crazy and ….
ouch! doing the old tennis ball trick, which is absolutely the best pain ever. you can feel the tightness in the piriformis releasing. i even sit on it at work.
i also do this stretch ….
stretchi can also do that stretch above from a seated position, so i do that at work a lot too. there are several other modes of treatment but these are the main things i’m doing right now and hope to be running by next week. i have a slight suspicion what caused this to happen but i’m not 100% sure yet so i’m going to wait before i put the blame on this wonderful tool i’ve been training with.
thank goodness i can still bike without pain. to my PT friends out there, please feel free to make any other suggestions. i’m always open to new stretches and ideas.
much love and peace out.

31 comments:

  1. Kudos to the muscular look, love it!!! Love the trusty tennis ball!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, this post is such a lesson in not skimming for me. I'm reading along, and from your headline I was thinking silly dreams as in goals or ambitions and somehow glossed over the part where you wrote "the other night I had a dream". I was so outraged for you: They made her swim with the little kids?? What?? That's bullshit!!...Broken goggles?? Bike seat??.....ooooooohhhh. A dream. Thank goodness.

    I have no good PT advice, but I still have a tennis ball in my purse from when my foot was hurt. Every moment I got my foot was either on ice or rolling my foot on that ball. Hope you're feeling 100% soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chronic any kind of pain is NOOO fun! I used the tennis ball in the past but pushed so hard against my back with it that I tore into the muscle and it hurt so bad so now I use a foam roller. Hope it gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE IT! Yeah, I lost ALL of my muscle mass last year. Great plan on keeping it... apparently my body was very hungry and ate all my muscles :(

    UGH on the injury. Same plan and stretches as the IT garbage. Hang in there, trust me, I KNOW its not easy to sit back and not run. You being a runner, this has to be bugging you.

    Smart move on taking it easy and NOT running. I am not that smart... I prefer to make things worse and get cranky :(

    Have a good one KC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that muscle tone... I'm going to the store to buy them out of eggs right now. Hope your pain in the a** goes away. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ugh! Piriformis syndrome sucks! Hope you work through this flare soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh how i love those crazy race dreams. i dreamed one time that i had to swim a 10k instead of run it in the charleston harbor and im terrified of OW! love that stretch, quite possibly my favorite! hope that pain works it way out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That dream sounds very familiar. My dreams for my June race started last week :D

    I loved SuperKate's outrage above - too funny!

    I also have piriformis trouble right now and do the same exercises/tennis ball stuff. I can't imagine this going on for 10 years, tho!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well now I've got to go buy a chicken like Matty O to have eggs all the time. But seriously, those omelets sound like a great idea to keep the muscle. That stretch where you cross your legs is "magical." Jenn and I do that one all the time!

    I'm glad your dream was just a dream. I don't know which part is worse....calling it a day, or not being able to pee!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH NO!! I am so sorry that you're having bad butt pain! That just sucks!! I wish I had some PT advice for you, but I don't. But, what you're doing sounds like it would be helpful?!?
    Crazy dreams make me crazy!! I never know if they're just a crazy dream or a sign that something will go terribly wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sucks about the butt pain/injury!

    Interesting about the eggs. I just like them because they are easy and they leave me feeling full. A couple scrambled eggs for b-fast and I don't get the 10:30 hunger pains. Maybe I'll do an omelet if I feel ambitious next week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Much prefer the muscular look on a woman than skinny also.

    I had a dream the other night that I was at St. Anthony's and was swimming toward the steps to get out but the water kept coming off the wall and pushing me back. I would swim until I could almost reach them and a wave would push me back out.

    I wonder where THAT comes from??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tri dreams are always the weirdest - especially before a race! :)

    Hope the pain goes away... wish I had some advice for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is quite the dream! It's a good thing that you didn't accidentally pee in your sleep. Pee dreams scare me.

    Sorry about the piriformis! I hope it quiets down soon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love eggs!

    And the tennis ball thing really works wonders! I do that glute stretch too to help my ITB tension.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Strong is the new skinny! I have had people tell me I was contradicting myself by lifting weights while training for an endurance event. Since its pointless to engage in a conversation about fitness with someone who knows nothing about it I just smile and keep my mouth shut. Sorry about the pain! Hope it gets better fast so your back out the door!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just don't like egg yolks. Maybe thats why I weigh 190.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your explanation of why you eat so many eggs. I used to eat 6 a day and now may go back to that. We really should chat someday. I think you really could help me!

    I am sorry about your piriformis. I have had that problem in the past. Just keep rollin' and I will send you healing vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like to keep a little extra lean mass also - it is not just about speed but quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've decided I don't want to be a skinny minny so I'm proud of my muscle mass (considering I have it)!

    You look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. bigorexia ... LMAO!! Think a couple people at my gym suffer from this!!!

    Luckily I do not!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to see im not the only other triathlete that has over an hour commute (when do you call it time to move?). If you want even more pain in your butt try a LAX ball instead of tennis, its a harder object and gets to the deeper tissue. Cheers to muscles, just more of you to blog about.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am hoping to not lose that much muscle mass this year training for my 140.6. I also eat very high protien foods, hoping it stays on. So far, so good, though quickly the mileage is going to shoot through the roof.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the tennis ball. I have actually upgraded to a lacrosse ball...less give.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The other day I went on a search for a tennis ball for this exact purpose. I honestly had no idea other people used them- I thought I was thinking strange. LOVE the tennis ball:)

    Your dream- pretty funny. Glad you woke up before you decided to maybe try the run segment;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Muscular = awesome and you look great! I'm a big fan of eggs. Although I don't eat 12 a day, one of my husband's co-workers has been keeping up quite stocked with farm fresh eggs lately, so I've been eating more than my fair share. Good luck with that piriformis of yours. Seems like we all have our own chronic booger that likes to rear its ugly head now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Part of my goal is to achieve fully and to the best of my ability the "muscular look". I have announced to friends that I think it would be really entertaining to come back to my high school reunion completely jacked. I act like I'm kidding...but I'm not.

    That stretch is one of my staples, as is sitting with my IT band on a foam roller with tears streaming down my face. Good luck working it out!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh that damn dreaded Piriformis - hate it hate it hate it. Coincidentally, when I get it, it's in the same leg as my bum heel. I think there's some sort of imbalance on my entire right side. But, good thing, if I give you my good glute, you'll be feeling better!! I don't need it since I can't run. ;). Hope the stretching makes it feel better soon and no more smashing goggles just cuz you gotta swim with the little kiddos! At least you'll be so far out in front that you won't get kicked in the ribs!

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Girl, you look amazing!! I prefer muscles to scrawny skinny too:)

    I just wanted to come over and say thanks for the comment. It is nice to know that you were checking in on me:) Life has been a little bumpy...I am fine. Hoping to get back into running and blogging! Take care! Hugs:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yup, no that pain. Right cheek for me...and about on the same schedule as you. Constantly stretching and strengthening to avoid a flair up...oh and fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love eggs too but 12 a day is a lot. 3 hard boiled after a hard workout is my favorite recovery food (plus some carbs maybe).

    Piriformis pain doesn't play games. I hope it eases quickly.

    I just found your blog from the Athlete's Plate. Very neat! I'm doing Ironman Florida this year too, maybe I'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete