Sunday, May 2, 2010

this weekend was hot, hot, hot

if you read my last post, it's clear that the trip to tennessee was scraped. after much back and forth discussion about the high chance of the ride getting rained out, we decided that we would enjoy a staycation and enjoy we did. we rode out butts off. since we didn't get to do the 3 state-3 mountain challenge we agreed we still needed to do 100 miles no matter what and seeing as our weather here was in full cooperation, we set out saturday for a century in the hills. for those who read my blog and may not be familiar with biking jargon, a century is a 100 mile ride. remember way back when (about 2 months ago) when i was whining and complaining about our unusually cold weather here in florida this year? and remember i said i had a new appreciation for hot weather and would never complain about the heat ever again? i meant it! but i do want to say that this weekend, we hit record highs here in florida. on our century ride saturday, we were riding in the 90's. the computer on my bike registers the temperature and at one point registered 110 degrees, i kid you not. however, i think that was because we had just stopped at a convenience store to grab our last bit of fuel and the heat off the pavement was super hot. once we got rolling again, it dropped into the mid 90's, which is more realistic. i felt every bit of that heat but kept remembering how irritated i was with the cold weather we had, so i embraced the heat this weekend. today's 51 miler was no different but i was just glad to have finally put all of my cold weather gear away for a long while and work on my lovely tan lines. by the way, the Neutrogena age shield sunblock is wonderful...no raccoon eyes from this weekend's activities in the sun and i'm undoing the weird sun blotches on my face, as a result of  last week's swim at 2:30pm, which i will never do again. i'll stick to early morning or later evening for my swimming sessions.
anyway, back to the century ride. it ended up being 6 of us heading out at 7am. the last 25-30 miles were really hard. thankfully when we made our last fuel stop, i stuck my head under a water spigot and that really helped cool my hot head off. all in all, we had a really good ride and i'm glad we decided to stay in town instead of making a 10 hour trip up to tennessee. i don't travel well at all, especially in cars. i need room to stretch out and things hurt when you are all cramped up in a car for so long. we found out later that it did not rain afterall for the 3S3M ride but no love lost here. again, i was glad to not be stuck in a car for yet another 10 hours coming back. i think it's safe to say, and my j-man agreed, that it's just a big pain in the butt to sign up for events that are so far away...there is just too much unpredictability involved. therefore, we will not be signing up for any more out of state bikiing events, period! we ended up getting in way more miles staying at home anyway, so good all the way around in my book.

the casualties of training are catching up with me lately. after all 305 miles i put in this week on the bike, let's just say, i'm not real comfortable on a bike seat right now. today's 51 mile ride was painful but i did it, but big OUCH! and i even lathered up with bag balm too but it didn't help at all. i think 250-275 miles on the bike per week is my limit.

overall, this week was another good training week. here are the numbers:
ran:
total time: 3:15:00
total distance: 25.0 mi.

biked:
total time: 14:56:15
total distance: 305.20 mi.

swam:
total time: 2:08:00
total distance: 5600 m.

i'm looking forward to the florida international olympic distance triathlon coming up on may 15th. i am ready! a big congrats and shout out to fellow blogger Bob at One hour Ironman who finished strong at the Ironman in St. George, Utah yesterday. hope everyone had a lovely weekend...back to the grind tomorrow.

much love and peace out!

19 comments:

  1. u r a machine! what an awesome training weekend! good call, I am with you, there is nothing worst than getting in a car for 10 hours after riding or running! they should have discount airfares for athletes! enjoy the end of your weekend! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! How do you ever fit in all that training?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tonia, some 2 a days and being on vacation from work helped with the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the century ride and an amaizing training week! Sounds like a hot one ride, holy cow. And yes, traveling sucks before a race!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Great week. That sounds like a really hot ride.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While you were out riding in the heat me and my hubby were riding in the cold. Luckily we beat the snow!!!

    Great numbers this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great numbers again KC! I was thinking of driving to Lubbock for the Buffalo Springs 70.3 at the end of June but ultimately decided against it because it is a 10 hour car ride. I put on an average of 3000 miles a month on my company car and the last thing I want to do is sit in the car on the weekends. So I am with you! We got hot here too, the humidity was crazy. It felt like a wet blanket on my saturday ride!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job putting in the miles in the heat! Those are hard days, I know. We had weather in the 90s all the way up here in Md, and I felt it, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your regimen would be impressive anyway, but in this heat it is extremely impressive. Good luck over these sweaty few months we have coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We need a blood sample from you to determine whether you are human or a MACHINE! Man! Think of the 100+ heat as training for Kona....cuz at this rate you are not far from going there in October!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHA, I thought I was the ONLY one that knew of Anti Monkey Butt!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the shout out!! You know what... maybe IMSG was easier than sticking around for 110F and 100 miles in S.A.

    I'll bet it was so hot the cops left you alone and stayed in the air conditioned donut shop....

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! You are a BEAST! Way to go, KC! I feel your pain re the heat - right now our temp is listed at 87 but "feels like" 98. What the heck? To me, if it FEELS LIKE 98, it IS 98!! I'll be riding in this heat on the 15th for the Oblate Ride...not as far as you went, but a good training ride for my LIVESTRONG prep.

    Take care of that monkey butt! Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes, the best workouts are the ones that are left to spontaneity. Glad you got the century in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome job on the century ride! Umm, my butt would probably be hating me too if I put that much mileage on it in a week! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so hardcore!!! WOW! Great mileage!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Um...my butt hurts just thinking about those numbers!
    Way to stomp out that century ride!

    ReplyDelete